SOUTH
TOP

NORTH
TOP

188 Main Street - Portland Restaurant
188 Main Street - Laverty's Saloon, 1884
The Portland Restaurant, a 2 story Italianate style brick commercial building, was constructed in 1884 as Laverty's Saloon. Slightly south of its intersectin with Marlborough Street, The building rests on a cut brownstone foundation; asphalt shingles cover the hip roof. During the summer of 1980, Portland Restaurant underwent extensive restoration including the removal of art-deco glass front paneling which revealed a sawtooth brick course between the first and second story. The flushboarded entablature with brackets with pendant drops was repainted a glossy brown, harmonizing with the brick and the brownstone sills. The 2/2 sash windows have arched brownstone lintels, and the four across the front also display keystones with the numbers of the construction date on them, one per bay. The interior retains its elegant mahogony bar and wall display. The bar, with metal foot rail, is polished to a golden tone from nearly a century of use. On June 4, 1884, James Laverty's thriving general store and much of the block it occupied were destroyed by fire so extensive that it inspired the creation of Portland's first volunteer fire department. The fire occurred on a Thursday; by the following Saturday night, Laverty was doing business frmo a temporary building, complete with icebox, established on the site where this brick structure now stnads. By November of 1884, the temporary store had been moved back and the brick store erected. James Laverty sold liquor wholesale and retail for may years from this location, operating a livery stable behind the building. The Young Men's Literary Society met on the second floor, which could be reached from the first floor by an elevator. Portland Restaurant, a prominent building in this long-time commercial district near the intersection of Main dna Marlborough Streets, has served the same function as a tavern since its consturciton, and retains many of its original features employed in their original capacity.

Last Updated: 04/20/1999
©Copyright 1999 Bob McDougall